If you thought music theory was a waste of time and not necessary to further your musical goals, then read these following 5 reasons why this is not true.
- Read sheet music: Being able to play from any piece of sheet music. Well it may be hard to play BUT you can read it!
- Be able to transpose: Say you are playing a piece from the sheet music you can now read but you think it sounds too high or too low, or just not right. Well now you can move it into a new key and play at a better singing.
- Be able to modulate: You will be able to, with a few quick moves of the fingers, move your music into a new key with a succession of notes so pleasing to the ear it will bring a smile to your listeners faces.
- It will increase your skill in improvising: Enough said.
- Knowing music theory will help you recreate the sounds you enjoy in your favourite songs. Those fabulous chord progressions. The parts that give a song that certain sound. Gospel, Contemporary etc.
To learn music theory you donít have to become a scholar on the subject. Just at least learn the basics. Getting a good music theory book and spending a few minutes a day reading from it and doing any included exercises can jump start your music playing.